PART C - DESCENDENT DISCS
Table 12-3: 12 human genetic traits p. 109.
- Blood type exhibits codominance:
IA and IB are codominant
Note: The blood type allele IO is shown as i in the textbook.
- Rh factor is an antigen: + has the factor and is dominant over -.
- Sex-linked traits such as color blindness exhibit peculiar inheritance patterns.
- Hair texture exhibits incomplete dominance
(intermediate dominance): heterozygote (CS) is wavy.
- Baldness dominance is sex-dependent: males are bald if BB or Bb; females must be BB to be bald.
Procedure p. 110
- Work in pairs - obtain numbered bags indicating genotypes for the 12 traits. Fill in data sheet starting p. 115.
- Find genotypes and phenotypes of the parents.
- Then, each parent randomly produces gametes (top side of disc) with the 12 alleles; mate.
- Beget 4 children, determine genotypes and phenotypes: a partially-filled combined parents/child example.
Questions (data sheet p. 118)
Skip #1 - #7 summaries of your family, and skip #12 on chi-square test.