Cloning Dolly by nuclear transfer
- The nuclei are removed from a mammary cell of a female lamb
and an egg cell from a different female.
- The nucleus from the mammary cell is implanted into the egg
- An electric shock
is applied to the egg to trigger cell division, which can happen in culture for a few divisions.
- The embryo is implanted into a living uterus; a 3rd lamb serves as the surrogate mother.
- The cloned Dolly
is identical in genetic makeup to the mammary cell donor.
- What's wrong with this picture?
- Dolly should look identical to the mammary cell donor.